CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Wednesday, April 14, 2010

the discovery that would change everything

So little C was healthy but not all that happy. I would not say she had colic; a word which is a pet peeve of mine for there is a reason your baby is unhappy making you crazy by their screaming. So I was going nuts! I was calling my hubby and mom several times a day in tears over being a mom and thinking I made the worst mistake of my life (it was not the worst mistake, little C is very loved) and convincing myself that it would get better. She was eating/sleeping every 2 hours or so around the clock meaning that I was getting maybe 2-3 hours of combined sleep a day. I was exhausted to say the least.

At 5 weeks I had an almost nervous breakdown. Little C was constantly hungry, hiccuping, spitting up, and crying...something had to give. We had a meeting involving my mom and my hubby about this. They though we should try formula at the night feeding. Having been dead set on nursing for a year and very anti-formula I had been opposed but was finally willing to give it a try. We got some formula that had reduced lactose and broken down protein for soy is not an option for me to give to my kido. The next night I packed my stuff up, including little C's stuff, and moved in with my mom for a few nights to give me some rest since hubby had to work during the day.

Night 1: gave her formula at her bedtime feeding about 11pm and she slept until 4am. It was on the verge of being a miracle. She had not slept that long ever. At that point I nursed her and she started her every 2 hour, hiccuping thing again. Hum.

Night 2: gave her formula at bedtime and middle of the night feeding and she slept until 7am. Hum, she slept longer and was much happier. I still nursed her during the day and pumped.

Night 3: same as night 2 but during the day we gave her formula while I pumped: a new child was born! There were no hiccups, little spit up, and she was happy. She ate every 3 hours and slept more.

From that point on we did formula and I would supplement her with breast milk that I had pumped. This caused problems every time I did the supplementation. After about a month of it I stopped for a few days to see what would happen: no spit up or hiccups. Tearfully, I poured my month+ supply of frozen milk down the drain. Still saddens me.

We are now a formula family, kinda sad to say but there are worst things out there. My little C is now happy, rarely has tummy gas, hiccups, or any of the problems she had on my milk. We found out that the problem was both that she had a lactose intolerance and I was not producing enough to meet her demands wich = a very unhappy, hungry little C.

No comments:

Post a Comment